Australian SweetieIssue: Section:
Hello from Adelaide, Australia! In case you are unaware it was Australia day here on the 26th of January and what better way to celebrate than with some traditional Australian cuisine. If you are a fellow Aussie you know all about Lamingtons and how fantastic they can be, but if you live else where you may not have experienced these little wonderful cakes. Just imagine mini butter cakes dipped in chocolate and coated in coconut - it is seriously one of the best flavour combinations of all time and extremely easy to make. So what are you waiting for? Get baking and enjoy a little taste of Australia...
Lamingtons (from the Australian Women's Weekly - 100 Favourite Cakes)
4 oz unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup castor sugar
2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup milk
Chocolate Icing and Coconut Topping:
1 lb icing sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 oz unsalted butter
1/2 cup milk
3/4 lb shredded coconut
- Grease and line a Lamington tin (11 in x 7 in). Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F).
- Beat butter and vanilla together until white, add sugar, beat until light and creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in sifted dry ingredients alternately with the milk. When all the ingredients are added, beat mixture lightly until smooth.
- Spoon mixture into lamington tin, bake in oven for 30 minutes. Cake is done when firm to the touch and a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool slightly before turning the cake out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Sift icing sugar and cocoa into heatproof basin, or into top half of double saucepan.
- Add softened butter and milk, stir with a wooden spoon to mix thoroughly.
- Stand over hot water, stir constantly until icing is of good coating consistency.
- Keep icing over hot water while dipping Lamingtons. If icing becomes too thick, add a little extra warmed milk or water.
Putting it all together:
- Thinly trim brown top, base and sides from cake.
- Cut cake into 24 even pieces.
- Hold each piece of cake on a fork. Dip each cake in chocolate icing, then toss in coconut.
- Stand on wire rack until icing sets.
Come say hello at my blog - www.thereddeer.com